[c-nsp] policer in case of burstable IP transit service

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Mon Sep 3 21:49:05 EDT 2012

Hi Martin, I provide cell backhaul for a cell phone carrier in my
area....they pay for 50 mbps.  They have a gige connection to my
switch/router (asr901).  My testing showed that small frame sizes (64 byte)
would result in needing a traffic contract of 70 or 75 mbps for them to see
the 50 mbps data rate they wanted.....however, I recall that frames of 1500
(or maybe it was ~9000) bytes allowed them less overhead and I could
contract at ~50 mbps....so I went ahead with the 75 mbps to ensure a good
experience for them regardless of pdu size.... also, when I created the
policers, I saw that IOS created an automatic committed burst (bc)...i'm not
sure how it did that but it did.  I left that in place as I believe it
causes the policer to be not-so-strict and allow for some bursting...again,
a better experience for them is what I was hoping for.

Not sure if this is the answer you were looking for but thought I'd share.

Aaron

901#sh run in g0/5 | in policy
 service-policy input pm

901#sh policy-map
  Policy Map pm
    Class class-default
     police cir 75000000 bc 2343750
       conform-action transmit
       exceed-action drop

901#sh policy-map int g0/5
 GigabitEthernet0/5

  Service-policy input: pm

    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      0 packets, 57939250 bytes
      30 second offered rate 1000 bps, drop rate 0000 bps
      Match: any
      police:
          cir 75000000 bps, bc 2343750 bytes
        conformed Packet count - n/a, 57939250 bytes; actions:
          transmit
        exceeded Packet count - n/a, 0 bytes; actions:
          drop
        conformed 1000 bps, exceeded 0000 bps
901#