[c-nsp] MSDP and my limited knowledge question

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 05:00:31 EDT 2012

On 09/04/2012 09:12 AM, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
> As Paul said IGMP register messages are supposed to be handled by the router
> elected as designated querier for the local subnet
> Though AFAIK IGMP register process is only used by the m-cast receivers not
> the sources

For clarity, because I think you typo-ed a couple of things there:

PIM registers are sent for multicast *sources*. They're sent by the PIM
designated forwarder towards the RP and flooded down the (*,g) tree so
that (s,g) joins can be triggered. They are re-sent periodically to
refresh state on the RP.

IGMP joins are sent by multicast *receivers*. They trigger (*,g) joins
[or (s,g) joins for IGMPv3 SSM] towards the RP. When a new source
appears on the (*,g) tree, the routers are triggered to do an (s,g) join.

MSDP essentially "echos" PIM register state between PIM RPs, allowing
separate PIM networks to be connected without (*,g) flooding on the
interconnect link, which wouldn't scale well.

The OPs problem is that he's trying to source multicast traffic from an
IP on his Linux box that isn't a "connected" route on the c4900. Thus,
the c4900 isn't the PIM DF, so doesn't send the PIM register or MSDP
advertisments. That doesn't (can't) work, I believe.

AFAIK there's no "PIM DF proxy" IOS feature, though I can see situations
in which it would be useful.