[c-nsp] MSDP and my limited knowledge question

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Tue Sep 4 07:00:13 EDT 2012

Oh yes I'm sorry for confusion thank you Phil for pointing that out

What I meant when I said IGMP register messages was actually IGMP membership
IGMP membership report messages from local subnet are translated by the
designated forwarder into PIM joins and sent up the shared or source-tree
depending on whether the source for the particular m-cast group is known or
not

Also to clarify
IGMP querier is the router elected by PIM(igmp ver2/3) as a router that
sends IGMP queries for the local subnet
PIM designated forwarder is elected by PIM as a router responsible for
forwarding m-cast traffic down/from the local subnet
Since IGMPver2 PIM process is responsible for election of both function -so
they always reside on the same router

> PIM registers are sent for multicast *sources*. They're sent by the PIM
designated forwarder towards the RP and flooded down the (*,g) tree so that
(s,g) joins can be triggered. They are re-sent periodically to refresh state
on the RP.

For more details
During the PIM register process the PIM designated forwarder (first-hop
router -router that has the source on the directly connected subnet)
encapsulates the m-cast packet sent by source host into a unicast register
message that is sent as unicast to the RP
RP de-capsulates the register msg and learns the multicast group and the
particular source and can build the shared tree towards the first-hop router
as designated by the (*,g) state in all the routers
After the shared-tree is built from the RP all the way to the first-hop
router -the first hop router will than start sending the m-cast traffic up
the shared tree
Now the RP receives the m-cast traffic twice  -via the PIM register messages
and via the shared tree
RP than sends register stop messages towards the first hop router -informing
it that it no longer needs to send the register messages
This whole process can span over a network consisting of many m-cast routers

adam