[c-nsp] Dual Planar Core Design

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Thu Sep 6 05:29:07 EDT 2012

Oh yeah 3D network diagrams been here for quite some time now they look
great on paper and have some mind blowing possibilities, however the cost of
such a solution is mind blowing as well
These are usually meant for core networks = most expensive boxes in the
network - now try to convince the management that you actually need to build
a second backbone to improve availability

I had the honor to study a state of the art multi-planar control-plane
architecture which was actually used for scalability reasons rather than HA
Back then I started to play with these concepts  in the virtual lab - as I
mentioned already, these type of designs need plethora of hardware -so it
was easier to simulate them

To your question
I believe these designs are a well kept secrets of those who actually run
them so you probably won't find presentations about real deployments.
Though you can find several academic papers and studies
These popped up when I searched for: ospf tetrahedron
http://www.nyu.edu/its/pubs/connect/spring04/kyriannis_nyunet3.html
http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/NYU_CP.pdf

adam