[c-nsp] Dual Planar Core Design

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:46:32 EDT 2012

We have looked at a dual plane design for both reliability and scalability.  In some instances the design can result in less hardware than your typical ring design if traffic can be balanced well enough across multiples planes.  The other benefit is being able to extend a network beyond two planes in order to eliminate density issues and having to move to more complex proprietary multi-chassis setups or having to upgrade to larger routers.   Similar to the newer leaf/spine clos data center setups.

The biggest hurdle is usually migrating an existing core network away from a traditional design.

If you talk to your SE teams they can put you in touch with folks who can provide more details but it's true there isn't a lot of information out there.

Phil.