[c-nsp] IPv6 Unique Local Address Routing Issue

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Sep 10 19:04:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 22:45 +0100, Aled Morris wrote:
> On 10 September 2012 21:56, Mack McBride <mack.mcbride at viawest.com> wrote:
> > If you are using ULA please be sure to use the correct procedure to
> > generate a /48 and register the /48 subnet with SixXS.  This keeps
> > ULA unique.
>
> Am I the only one to find this a bit of a contradiction in terms?  If
> you're going to register it, how is it not then a kind of GUA?  Really?

Just make sure the prefix is generated in a sufficiently random fashion
(RFC4193 3.2.1) and rest assured that the law of large numbers is on
your side.

SixXS does host a generator that complies with RFC4193 3.2.1. Even
though GUA is easy to get it's not as easy as pushing a few buttons on a
webpage.

(What's with the cross posting?)

--
Peter