[c-nsp] cisco maximum rate-limit interfaces

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Sep 11 00:05:52 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have a 7201 running c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD8.bin,
configured as a bras (pppoe). I have about 1000 simultaneous pppoe
sessions at the moment, and most subscribers are rate-limited by their
cpe devices (under our administrative control). There are some
subscribers, however, which we instead use a radius profile and cisco
avpairs to apply rate limits (ala "Cisco-AVPair +=
lcp:interface-config=rate-limit input 1000000 1100000 1300000
conform-action transmit exceed-action drop" for example) to their
interface when it comes up. This works well, but I'm trying to figure
out if there is a maximum or realistic number of these I can have at any
one time and whether there are any tradeoffs or caveats to be aware of
if scaling this up to many hundreds or more of users?

Thanks.

Mike-