[c-nsp] SNMP proxing in a VRF

Michele Bergonzoni bergonz at labs.it
Tue Sep 11 13:37:20 EDT 2012

> I have core routers that implements several VRF. On theses VRF, I
> have several CPEs.

> I would like now to have a similar functionality to proxy a SNMP call
> to a distant router on a VRF thru a core router routing this VRF.

I think there is no such functionality in Cisco nor Juniper. If I turn
out to be wrong, please let me and this list know.

Possible workarounds:

  - "central services" vrf with your management station. This is the
standard workaround, and can be used for ping and ssh as well. Also
called "common services", for a complete googling experience.

  - A GRE tunnel from your management station to the nearest core router
for each VRF (Linux can do that, don't know about windows). If the core
router is in the same rack, a VLAN trunk is simpler.

Again, if you come out with an SNMP proxy in a single box (not a
distributed NMS with agents) that really supports VRFs (even with
overlapping addresses) please let me know.

Hope this helps,
					Bergonz

--
Ing. Michele Bergonzoni - Laboratori Guglielmo Marconi S.p.a.
Phone:+39-051-6781926 e-mail: bergonz at labs.it
alt.advanced.networks.design.configure.operate