[c-nsp] Cisco 12008 8/40 Gigabit Link

root net rootnet08 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 00:33:25 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM, Pete Templin <petelists at templin.org> wrote:

> On 9/11/12 4:08 PM, root net wrote:
>
>  Had a buddy who said he could send us a 8/40. This long term would be
>> better than our 7200VXR routers. Thinking about a solution without having
>> to upgrade to ASR for now.
>>
>> Want some thoughts on the following:
>>
>> 1. Need to be able to handle full 1 Gigabit of transit (and backup link of
>> 200Meg) at some point or at least a 2.5 Gbps connection total at some
>> point
>> as the highest ever pushed.
>>

> On the GSR series, it's all about the linecard(s).  You really want the
> 4-port GE card, as it's built on the Engine 3 architecture and can do what
> you want.

That's what I am starting to figure out. Been doing some research and it's
truly a distributed platform. I've also been reading that we would want
Engine 3 as you mention but I think Engine 2 would work too. What do you
think?

>  The GRP-B only have 512MB of ram so full tables going to be possibly out
>> of
>> the question. I know we could possibly filter down but really want to run
>> full table.
>> The PRP-1 which we could max out at 2GB of ram
>> The PRP-2 which we could max out at 4GB of ram
>>

> GRP-B would be quite tight.  A prior employer hasn't called any of my
> contacts looking for help with routing table problems yet, so I don't think
> it's hit the limit, but soon...

Does that previous employer have two full Internet tables or just one? Is
it IPv4 only or both IPv4 and IPv6.

>  Would we need to install 5 SFCs?
>>

> The 008 uses 3xSFC and 1-2xCSC.  You need at least 4 ..C for normal
> operation of Engine 1/2/3 cards.  You need at least one CSC for normal
> operation of Engine 0 cards, but you don't want Engine 0 cards anyway.

You are right miss read. Only 124xx has 5xSFC. The 8/40 we are getting has
3xSFC and 1xCSC now. I will add another CSC period for redundancy. It
doesn't have any router processors. My choices for Ethernet lines cards
seem to be 8-Port FE w/ ECC (engine 1) w/256MB, 1-Port GE w/ECC (engine 1)
w/256MB and 3-Port GE (engine 2) w/512MB. Unfortunately the 4-Port GE ISE
(engine 3) not supported on the GSR 8/40. That would have been easy enough
hands down with a 1GB of route memory on the LC.

>  Do you think long term this router could work as we believe max capacity
>> we
>> would need is around 2.5Gbps period for this router?
>> Could we start out with GRP-B and run full tables for IPv4 and IPv6 with
>> possibly 200Megs being pushed over transit?
>>

> If your cards are Engine 3, they'll serve you well up to the 2.5Gbps/slot
> limits.  If your xRP has enough RAM for all of its tables and your
> linecards have enough RAM for the FIB copy, you'll be fine.  I miss these
> boxes, but they do have a steep learning curve.

This 8/40 would have no xRP. So, we would need to decide to go with the
GRP-B and upgrade as bandwidth increases.
We've looked at years ago but not heavily because the 7200VXRs did what we
needed.