[c-nsp] Cisco 12008 8/40 Gigabit Link

root net rootnet08 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 00:59:33 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Per Carlson <pelle at hemmop.com> wrote:

> > Re XR not supported:
> >
> > Can you not put a prp2 in this chassis?
>
> Sure, but that doesn't help with regards to XR, it's the chassis
> that's unsupported.

I decided not to take my buddy on his offer to give the 8/40. Seems it
would be more trouble than a little.
Thanks for all the advice given. The ASR platform looks so sweet but don't
have the budget for it.

The 8/40 would only have be long term ideal considering the VXR couldn't
pass enough traffic to support full 2.5Gbps at some point.
(i.e. NPE-G2 could only theoretically handle full gigabit) The 8/40 seemed
like the cheapest solution which would have created another issue to
upgrade almost immediately.
Considering the comments about chassis not being supported. The 2nd hand
market would have been our friend. At any rate, not worth the time to
deploy then have issues down road as many have mentioned.

Depending on how this would have went we would have been forced to move to
the 124xx series at some point which would have been a clear path for a
updated software and even support.

We will probably go the conventional L3 switch way with the Cisco 65xx and
a major sup.
If you have any recommendations they are welcomed for this.

Again, Thanks for all the tips/advice.