[c-nsp] Cisco 12008 8/40 Gigabit Link

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Sep 13 03:12:40 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:59:33PM -0500, root net wrote:
> We will probably go the conventional L3 switch way with the Cisco 65xx and
> a major sup.
> If you have any recommendations they are welcomed for this.

Doing 2.5G SDH/SONET on the 6500 is way expensive.  For GigE and a
limited amount of 10GE ports it's a nice box.

Read up the various discussions in the c-nsp archives about limitations
and drawbacks of the architecture, though - it's a switch with routing
bolted on, and it shows in some places.

(Nevertheless it's a trusty workhose, all our network runs on 6500s
except for the lower-speed access stuff (E1, E3, STM1) which is on 7200s)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de