[c-nsp] EIGRP in CSC

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Tue Apr 9 10:28:08 EDT 2013

Let me back out a bit,
Assume a simple setup with two PEs running MP-BGP between them.
Each PE has a directly connected CE and EIGRP runs as a PE-CE protocol.
CE1--PE1--PE2--CE2.

Now in order to propagate EIGRP routes from CE1 to CE2 - PE1 needs to
redistribute EIGRP to MP-BGP under the particular vrf section.
And PE2 has to redistribute the MP-BGP routes into EIGRP so that the can be
sent to CE2.

Now let's back out a bit more.
In order for EIGRP to accept routes during redistribution from another
routing protocol the metric has to be set up manually so that EIGRP knows
how to interpret the redistributed routes.

Now back to our simple topology.
When PE1 redistributes the EIGRP vrf routes into MP-BGP it carries the EIGRP
metric in extended community so that when PE2 redistributes the MP-BGP
routes to EIGRP it knows what metric to set.

Now let's assume CE1 and PE1 runs RIP so PE1 redistributes RIP into MP-BGP
and the update arrives on PE2 where MP-BGP is redistributed to EIGRP in the
particular vrf.
On PE2 the EIGRP however does not know how to interpret the RIP metric from
the redistributed (eigrp-external) route so it won't install it into its
database.

adam