[c-nsp] Limit on maximum number of NATs

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 08:07:54 EDT 2013

Unlike a hardware based platform, like the 6500, which has a fixed, finite
amount of space for NAT, this isn't really the case for ISRs. Everything is
done in memory. If you have 1gb of free memory you will have more room for
translations than if you have 512mb of free memory.

Every feature you turn on takes memory.
Every route in the routing table takes memory.

This means that the number of available NAT translations on your ISR is
directly related to your free memory. Your best bet is to monitor your
total free memory to get an idea when you are getting to dangerous levels.