[c-nsp] data center/mpls/vpls

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Fri Apr 12 10:57:19 EDT 2013

I'm working with the resident linux/server/systems engineer on his new dc
project.

I'm looking for data center type switches/routers. does anyone recommend
anything?

I would like mpls capability in it.  Does anyone say that
mpls/vpls/l3vpn/l2vpn is good to top of rack data center level?  Seems like
more flexibility and strength to me with using all those nice mpls features.

I would like a pair of top-of-rack devices that can mirror one another if
possible too, like cisco's 6509-vss thing.or at least like nexus vpc
(multichassis link aggregation/bundling)

What vendor has something that can do all that?  Oh, I'm trying to stay
around $75K for 5 of them.

HP tells me their 5900/5920 can do most of this and mpls is on roadmap for
end of year.l3vpn, maybe l2vpn beyond that.

Cisco tells me their nexus 5548UP can do most of this, but no mpls at all,
no roadmap either.

Juniper ?  don't know.but I see on their web site something about QFX3500,
EX4500, EX4550 but haven't look at them yet.

Other vendor ?

Aaron