[c-nsp] data center/mpls/vpls

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Mon Apr 15 10:19:08 EDT 2013

Thanks Andrew....

Q1 - Why do you want MPLS on the top of rack switch?
A1 - L2VPN's...L3VPN's...  Yes, 10 feet away is my Cisco ASR9006 MPLS PE
edge box, so yes I could simply do 802.1q from tor switch to that 9k and
then jump into mpls LxVPN's there.....perhaps this would be a way for me to
keep the cost down on the TOR switch.

Q2 - Do you need 1G, or 10G interfaces, and how many of them?  Why do you
need 5? Would something like a pair of 5Ks and FEXs not do what you are
after?
A2 - 10G and about 5 of them per switch.  (2) Data Centers, with (2)
cabinets each.  So (4) TOR switches....and we spare one of everything we
have for quick disaster recovery incase of outage.... so 5

Q3 - IIRC, the HP 5900s only support 16K routes - which could be a problem
on an MPLS network.
A3 - My MPLS network is just that, mine.  I am a small ISP.  I own the whole
mpls network....currently 209 routes....it will grow, but not to thousands.
And if I do ospf area's and route summarization at area boundaries down the
road, I could probably still keep route table small.

3600#sh ip route summ | in Route|Total
Route Source    Networks    Subnets     Replicates  Overhead    Memory
(bytes)
Total           4           209         0           12900       47784

Q3.1 - Can't you just trunk the various VLANs back to a PE/ pair of PEs?
A3.1 - yes, I could.... should I?  Would you/you all prefer mpls to the ToR
edge to jump into and out of mpls LxVPN's right there?  Or is it not worth
paying for?  Seems reminiscent of ATM....and the powers realized by getting
atm closer and closer to the edge...but then always wondering, perhaps I
could simply just vlan into the atm lane elan/pvc/pvp and be done with it.
Hmmmm

Q4 - I think the QFX will be too expensive for your budget. IIRC, the
EX4500s also have the not enough routes supported issue....
A4 - 209 routes currently.  I see EX4550 does mpls.  Don't know how much it
costs though...gonna talk to Juniper this morning in webex.  Is ex4550 a
good box?

Aaron