[c-nsp] data center/mpls/vpls

Oliver Garraux oliver at g.garraux.net
Mon Apr 15 16:51:18 EDT 2013

At a large enterprise, we're using them for L2 only.  For a smallish
virtualized hosting environment we're doing L3 with them.  I think the
people working on the hosting environment are happy with them.  My concerns
about L3 on the N5k are mostly about some of the limitations.  Off the top
of my head:

- you can't do ISSU with L3
- it doesn't support PBR
- since a port-channel is used internally to connect to the L3 module, you
may not be able to effectively use 160 gbps for L3
- more limited # of FEX's supported when L3 is being used.  I think they
increased it though in some version of code, so this might be less of an
issue today

If you can live with the limitations, I think L3 on the N5K is probably OK.
 Not sure that its the best choice for L3 stuff though.

Oliver

Oliver Garraux
Check out my blog:  blog.garraux.net
Follow me on Twitter:  twitter.com/olivergarraux