[c-nsp] BGP Signalled VPLS

Caillin Bathern caillinb at commtelns.com
Wed Apr 24 10:03:04 EDT 2013

>Alright so once the VE ID and offset is the same on two PEs, the remote
PEs will create PW only to one of them.
>This is taken care of the standard VPLS split-horizon rule though.
Not so - if PE-A and PE-B are not using the same VE ID/offset then they
will create a PW between themselves.  This then creates a loop
CE-A---PE-A---PE-B---CE-A.  No split-horizon involved there.  Similarly
if PE-C has active PW to both PE-A and PE-B then when it sends a BUM
frame across the VPLS, the CE-A will receive the BUM frame twice.

>What about PW between PE-A and PE-B (is that PW not created if these
two have now the same VE ID and offset?
Correct
>So that it solves the looping of BUM traffic originated at CE-A sent to
PE-A sent to PE-B and sent to CE-A.
>But it affects every other PE in the domain as well.
>So I'd cripple the whole VPLS domain in order to avoid loop between two
PEs, I guess I don't like that.
How does it cripple the VPLS, what do you mean by that?
It provides you an active-backup link to the CE at that site with no
requirement for xSTP.

Caillin

Alright so once the VE ID and offset is the same on two PEs, the remote
PEs will create PW only to one of them.
This is taken care of the standard VPLS split-horizon rule though.

What about PW between PE-A and PE-B (is that PW not created if these two
have now the same VE ID and offset?
So that it solves the looping of BUM traffic originated at CE-A sent to
PE-A sent to PE-B and sent to CE-A.
But it affects every other PE in the domain as well.
So I'd cripple the whole VPLS domain in order to avoid loop between two
PEs, I guess I don't like that.

I'd rather relay on MC-LAG or REP or MST access gateway in order to
avoid loops.

adam