[c-nsp] Sup720 hanging after rommon starts loading IOS

Brielle Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Thu Apr 25 09:58:19 EDT 2013

On 4/24/13 2:31 PM, Paul wrote:
> For compact flash cards you need to put them in a PC, and remove the
> partition table (or format it FAT16).
> Once the partition table is completely removed , format it in your
> supervisor and it will work every time.
> The issue is that most flash cards come with the partition table already
> created and already formatted.

You also can't boot from a flash disk that hasn't been
formatted/'blessed' by the platform its been inserted into.  This
platform limitation also applies to differences in SUPs, such as between
SUP32, SUP720, etc.

We had gotten a 720 with no flash, its internal flash had been wiped
completely.  Tried using a flash formatted and loaded in the SUP32 we
have - wouldn't successfully boot, then tried with a RSP16 from a 7500
series, and still couldn't make it boot off the flash.

Finally succeeded in tickling the 720 to boot off of the one made in the
RSP16 after fooling with its ROMMON.  Apparently, the format command
adds some hidden flags or files to the flash which when not present or
of the wrong type, it will cause the boot loader to pretend like the
flash is unbootable even with the right files on it.

Important side note for anyone with a SUP720 - you can't load an IOS
image over serial or TFTP with the ROMMON.  For serial, its particularly
deceptive in that the command is there, but will fail every single time.

Yay Cisco!

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org