[c-nsp] ipsla - latency - related to cellular backhaul

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Thu Apr 25 13:02:16 EDT 2013

I have seen some latency (measured using ipsla icmp/udp/mpls pw pings)
beyond my agreements with some of our cellular backhaul customers..

We are concerned that if/when they ask to see their sla measurements for
their cell towers that we won't be looking very good

Cisco Tac is telling me that pings of any type (icmp/udp/mpls pw) are not
the way to truly measure the network and that I should be using CFM/OAM type
stuff.

I showed cisco tac a mpls pw ping test I did and it shows drops/time-outs
etc)

Tac says that this drop and the latency seen using various ipsla pings is
expected since all pings are treated less than everything else and could be
getting policed by LPTS (I don't know what LPTS is)

What do y'all think about all this?

Aaron