[c-nsp] behavior of BGP when new address families are enabled (BGP dynamic capability)

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Fri Aug 9 04:28:31 EDT 2013

Well "multi-instance BGP" is basically running multiple separate "complete
BGP process suites" on a single RP or on multiple DRPs.
Not to be mistaken with "distributed BGP" where only "BGP speaker process"
could be distributed among multiple DRPs.
I believe the multi-instance BGP was created mainly to cope with the 4G
limit per process in 32bit XR.
It has to be configured manually via cmd: router bgp 123 instance
<instance_name>.
And XR should respond back that it's starting a separate process.
IPv4 AFs have to be configured under one instance same applies for IPv6 AFs
and Multicast related AFs, VPNv4 and VPNv6 AFs can appear in multiple
instances.

So I guess the equivalent of IOS multi-session where a separate TCP session
is created for each AF is nonexistent in XR.

adam