[c-nsp] Resetting (or not) a 6500/sup720 from the console/rommon

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Mon Aug 12 16:24:33 EDT 2013

Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 12/08/13 15:14, Andriy Bilous wrote:
>> I suspect you would need to sync config-registers on both. In some
>> circumstances when SP fails to boot, chassis would program 'halt on
>> boot' on RP to prevent infinite reset cycling (most electrical failures
>> happen on reset).
>
> Erm... Just to re-iterate the date here:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
>
> ...I originally reported this over 3 years ago, so TBH replying to me
> now is not helpful ;o)
>

> Anyway, in *our* case, config-register was not implicated - a power
> cycle made it come up fine, and both RP and SP confreg were ok.
>
> I am fairly convinced it is (was?) some esoteric "never halt" bug in the
> RP IOS code.

What I am looking at is a sup720 that consistently failed upon booting
sxh or 15.1 but not sxd.

It would boot the sp, boot the rp, the rp would come up mostly and then
crash, and you would be stuck at rp rommon.

Also, diagnostics failed on the fabric snake.

That sup is going back but the question remains. Is remote power switch
a want or a need?

Joe