[c-nsp] Catalyst 6500/6800 suitable as PE in provider network (SUP2T)?

Chris Russell chris at nifry.com
Thu Aug 22 04:36:11 EDT 2013

> you missing any features compared to ME devices? Has VPLS been
> running
> well or have you had any issues?

  The ME is a great little device.. and from my limited exposure to them
"just works". Agree with you on the 10G ports. Brocades' addition of
4x10G to the CER-RT may push Cisco into looking at this again though.

  One of the limitations we've found within VPLS on the C6K w/sup-2T is
there are problems with l2 tunnelling of untagged packets - specifically
STP/VTP/CDP. We were recommended the ASR (1K) instead of the C6K due to
this but currently it`s looking like they have the same issue. The same
config on an ME just works.

  Both of the above currently raised with Cisco engineering teams

Chris