[c-nsp] Catalyst 6500/6800 suitable as PE in provider network (SUP2T)?

daniel.dib at reaper.nu daniel.dib at reaper.nu
Thu Aug 22 05:18:49 EDT 2013

>> you missing any features
compared to ME devices? Has VPLS been running well or have you had any
issues?

 The ME is a great little device.. and from my limited exposure
to them
"just works". Agree with you on the 10G ports. Brocades'
addition of
4x10G to the CER-RT may push Cisco into looking at this
again though.

 One of the limitations we've found within VPLS on the
C6K w/sup-2T is
there are problems with l2 tunnelling of untagged
packets - specifically
STP/VTP/CDP. We were recommended the ASR (1K)
instead of the C6K due to
this but currently it`s looking like they
have the same issue. The same
config on an ME just works.

 Both of the
above currently raised with Cisco engineering teams

Chris

Thanks
Chris!

I agree the platform has really matured into something good and
I really like the QoS features and buffers. I also heard that tunneling
of BPDUs is troublesome on Cat 6500 which might be an issue. Thanks for
the input!

Regards,
Daniel