[c-nsp] 7301 bootstrap crashes on config, continues loading

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Mon Aug 26 11:06:12 EDT 2013

Dear Eggsperts,

I'm playing with a 7301 in the lab as an L2TP LAC for punting PPPoE subscribers off to a monster LNS. I was trying to figure out a solution for link redundancy with one of our wholesale relationships and the solution I came up with was IRB with an SVI bonding two sub-interfaces (a pair of 7301s cabled to a pair of 6509s). Everything is great and wonderful, but I've noticed on reload that the bootstrap software crashes when it reads "bridge-group 1" on the first sub-interface. It throws an exception (17:47:11 EDT Sun Aug 25 2013: TLB (store) exception, CPU signal 10, PC = 0x61124190), all kinds of debug info, writes a crash log, then proceeds to boot the full IOS. Once IOS is loaded all features I configured work just as I expect.

Should I even be concerned about this? It eventually loads and runs IOS, so is it a problem other than taking the extra minute on reload? I know on other platforms when the bootstrap image is out of date it will complain about new features or syntax, and the full image spits out "Messages above this line are from the bootloader" (or similar). This is a used box for an experiment, so if it's ultimately cosmetic I'm really not bothered. I didn't even notice there was a problem until I ran 'dir bootflash:'

Bootstrap on this router is 12.3(4r)T2, main IOS I'm playing with 15.2(4)S2.

Thanks!
Ross