[c-nsp] Reasons for "random" ISIS flapping?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 29 22:41:45 EDT 2013

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 06:00:05 PM Pete Lumbis wrote:

> I don't see it as an either/or question. You still need
> BFD for failure detection. Nothing happens until a
> failure is detected. (r)LFA fixes the rest of the
> convergence equation, mainly the time it takes to notify
> neighbors and recompute a path and what can be the
> biggest delay, re-programming the data plane on hardware
> platforms.

The reason I'm thinking about this is because I recently
lab'ed up some Juniper kit, and didn't notice any real
difference in failure detection and local re-routing with
BFD on or off, when the box had LFA running.

Of course, real life at a larger scale is a completely
separate issue, but I'll start to collect some hard data on
this and see if (assuming reasonably good LFA backup prefix
coverage) gains are positive, marginal or even negative.

Mark.