[c-nsp] ME3400 FHRP - GLBP with IPv4 and IPv6

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Dec 2 09:34:07 EST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 03:13:31PM +0100, Gerald Krause wrote:
> Am 27.11.2013 18:17, schrieb Calin C.:
> > I did encounter this message only with HSRP and there the problem was
> > that IPv6 requires version 2 and IPv4 works fine with version 1.
> >
> > For GLBP...please let me know if you find the answer.
>
> Just FYI - we've got the answer from TAC now that the ME3400G won't
> support an FHRP with IPv4 and IPv6 on the *same interface*. It seems to
> be a hardware limitation of this series.

Call my imagination somewhat limited, but I have a truly hard time
understanding how you could build a hardware that would not be able
to do that.  This is basically a pure control-plane functionality,
plus "handle a virtual MAC address" - and if you use the same vmac for
IPv4+IPv6, I can't see how the forwarding hardware would need to know
that there is IPv6 involved as well.

Wrong page of the "poor excuses for every day" calendar, maybe.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de