[c-nsp] 4500X weird issue...

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Sat Dec 7 09:15:35 EST 2013

On 12/6/2013 10:25 PM, Jeff Kell wrote:
> We received our first pair of 4500X switches, and proceeded to try to
> prepare them for deployment.  They came up OK on console access, we got
> a very basic configuration setup, linked them together, and did an
> initial VSS pairing.
>
> With that successful, we put in a management IP address for the
> management port, saved everything, and proceeded to move them to the
> server room.
>
> Upon power-up at the new location, they won't boot...
>
>>   ****************************************************************
>>   *                                                              *
>>   * Rom Monitor NVRAM configuration is being initialized to      *
>>   * default values. This may be because it was never initialized.*
>>   *                                                              *
>>   ****************************************************************
>> Writing to Primary Region failed
>> Writing to Backup Region failed
>>
>>   Rommon (G) Signature verification PASSED
>> flash0:/codesign/rm1.dat open failure
>>
>>   Rommon (P) Signature verification PASSED
>> flash0:/codesign/rm2.dat open failure
>>
>>   ****************************************************************
>>   *                                                              *
>>   * Rom Monitor NVRAM configuration is being initialized to      *
>>   * default values. This may be because it was never initialized.*
>>   *                                                              *
>>   ****************************************************************
>> Writing to Primary Region failed
>> Writing to Backup Region failed
>>
>>   FPGA   (P) Signature verification PASSED
>> flash0:/codesign/fpga.dat open failure
>>   ************************************************************
>>   *                                                          *
>>   * Welcome to Rom Monitor for    WS-C4500X-16 System.       *
>>   * Copyright (c) 2008-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.           *
>>   * All rights reserved.                                     *
>>   *                                                          *
>>   ************************************************************
>>
>>   Rom Monitor (P) Version 15.0(1r)SG10
>>   CPU Rev: 2.2, Board Rev: 9, Board Type: 108
>>   CPLD Mobat Rev: 2.0x549a.0x59a4
>>   Chassis: WS-C4500X-16
>>
>>   MAC Address  : e4-c7-22-**-**-**
>>   Ip Address   : Not set.
>>   Netmask      : Not set.
>>   Gateway      : Not set.
>>   TftpServer   : Not set.
>>
>>   Non-Redundant system or peer not running IOS
>>   System Uplinks & Linecards have been reset!!
>>

>>   ***** The system will autoboot in 5 seconds *****
>>

>>   Type control-C to prevent autobooting.
>>   . . . .
>>   Management Ethernet Link Up: 1Gb Full Duplex
>>   .
>>
>>   ******** The system will autoboot now ********
>>

>>   config-register = 0x102
>> Writing to Primary Region failed
>> Writing to Backup Region failed
>>   Autobooting using BOOT variable specified file.....

> [...]
I thought you were running into the confreg issue but it appears you
have the upgraded rom in which this is fixed.  Odd.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/release/note/OL_24829.html#wp196197

What's the normal commands show in rommon (dev, dir flash:, etc)?
Everything there?

tv

---