[c-nsp] cheap core switch for a "hacker space" (nonprofit association)

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Dec 9 08:53:42 EST 2013

HI,

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 01:45:09PM +0100, Markus H wrote:
> Fully managed, layer 3 and IPv6 capable switch(es) with 48 ports in total,
> at least 24 of them gigabit.

"Routing" or "Switching"?

If switching is good enough for you, I found the new Cisco "small business"
switches to be surprisingly good.  Slightly weird "somewhat like IOS, but
not fully so" CLI, surprisingly good web interface, all relevant bits like
"monitoring port", "rapid stp", "ssh", etc. - haven't tried to use them
as L3 device, so I can't say how well they function there.  But I wouldn't
use a 3750 for that either.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de