[c-nsp] cheap core switch for a "hacker space" (nonprofit association)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Dec 9 10:11:46 EST 2013

On Monday, December 09, 2013 02:54:25 PM Phil Mayers wrote:

> You might want to be a bit careful about which specific
> models are EoS in that range; I lose track of which are
> current and which are old.

The 3560X and 3750X (which both replaced the 3560 and 3750)
are being replaced by the 3650 very soon.

So I'd look at a 3650 if you want to stay current.
Otherwise, the older models will work fine until there is a
feature you need that is only on the newer units.

> One important thing to bear in mind: All the cheap
> Catalyst devices, including 3750, have tiny tiny
> buffers, so tend to drop under microbursts. Search the
> archives for more details, but this can make it hard to
> get the full throughput out of them, *particularly* if
> you're going from 1G to 100M ports.

The 3750X is good for 6MB buffers for all ports. The 3650 is
upgraded to 12MB, if that helps.

Mark.