[c-nsp] C6500 IPv6 redistribute with route-map?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Dec 10 08:10:36 EST 2013

On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:31:55 AM Patrick M. Hausen
wrote:

> I must admit, the thought never occured to me up until
> now. That’s what I thought IGPs were for. Use BGP to
> talk to your upstream, use a suitable link state IGP for
> your own network.
>
> Any hints/documents/links for starters? For example one
> question that immediately springs up:

Search Google for BGP Best Current Practices from myself and
Philip Smith. We teach these workshops and APRICOT, AfNOG
and MyNOG together.

> How can I connect them to the iBGP without them carrying
> full tables? Route-maps for the neighbor definitions? Is
> that really all it takes?

Unlike IGP's, BGP supports excellent filtering, so you can
manage what you need to advertise where, much more easily
and predictably than with an IGP.

> And OTOH again - why would I not want to carry < 100 LSAs
> in my IGP?

Because you should always assume you will grow. Having to
re-design the network in the future (or worse, leaving that
to someone else) should be avoid whenever possible.

Cheers,

Mark.