[c-nsp] C6500 IPv6 redistribute with route-map?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Dec 10 07:43:51 EST 2013

On 10/Dec/2013 at 09:22:01 AM, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> I do have the knowledge and capacity to implement iBGP as my IGP
> *now*, except for the route reflectors suggested. Would you recommend
> that approach? I.e. going without the route reflectors and the
> communities first? It~Rs only 4-5 machines in total, after all, all
> Cisco. And no customers with BGP currently.

Starting out with route reflectors is a good idea.  It makes the network
easier to scale as needed.

Doing a full IBGP mesh gets messy very quickly.  Even if you use
peer-groups to simplify things, you're still dealing with a lot of IBGP
sessions ((n * (n - 1)) / 2 sessions).  With 5 routers, that would mean 10
sessions.  With 10 routers, that would mean 45 sessions.  Additionally,
managing all of those sessions can chew up a lot of resources on your
routers.  Anything you can simplify will serve you well over time.

jms