[c-nsp] C6500 IPv6 redistribute with route-map?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Dec 10 12:45:16 EST 2013

Hi, all,

Am 10.12.2013 um 13:43 schrieb Justin M. Streiner <streiner at cluebyfour.org>:

> On 10/Dec/2013 at 09:22:01 AM, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>> I do have the knowledge and capacity to implement iBGP as my IGP
>> *now*, except for the route reflectors suggested. Would you recommend
>> that approach? I.e. going without the route reflectors and the communities first? It~Rs only 4-5 machines in total, after all, all Cisco. And no customers with BGP currently.
>
> Starting out with route reflectors is a good idea.  It makes the network easier to scale as needed.
>
> Doing a full IBGP mesh gets messy very quickly.  Even if you use peer-groups to simplify things, you're still dealing with a lot of IBGP sessions ((n * (n - 1)) / 2 sessions).  With 5 routers, that would mean 10 sessions.  With 10 routers, that would mean 45 sessions.  Additionally, managing all of those sessions can chew up a lot of resources on your routers.  Anything you can simplify will serve you well over time.

I see. I’m starting with 4 routers and I simply do not have the hardware
at hand *now* to implement something that critical to my network.
Of course a VM will do, but I do not have free virtual ressources with
sufficient redundancy, either.

Of the 4 routers only 2 connect to different ASes via BGP, the other two
2961s are only there to provide a cheaper platform for ATM and G.703 links.
(I reuse my old 3600 series OC3-Modules and some VWICs with these)

The job of the IGP is to anounce the customer's subnets of those lines to the
two big boxes and give the small ones a hand via default-information originate.
It really is that simple. For now - you do have a point here ;-)
But I don’t see our subscriber line business expanding.

And the plan is to have IS-IS, external BGP and v6 up and running before
Christmas.

So it’s either full mesh or IS-IS - I will come to a decision tomorrow after toying
with the not-yet-productive systems some more.

Sorry if I seem resistant to sound advice, but I have to stick to my priorities and
put learning even more great things beside IS-IS up for a little later.

I will definitely set up a route reflector before putting another $BIGBOX with full
tables into service. Or add another location. Or anything that actually extends our
small single rack backbone. That much I see now …

Thanks again for all help.
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100