[c-nsp] NX-OS 6.0(2) N2(1b) Nexus 5596UP password issues...

Tue Dec 10 20:34:58 EST 2013

OK,
                So I am wondering if anyone else has tested this upgrade...  Just got in a new pair of 5596UP switches, each configured with 2x 16 port UP expansion modules.  Went through the basic config of username, password, and decline to do anything further like I always do right out of the box.  Enter username and password.  Out of box, Switch was loaded with 5.2 (1) N1(2).

Insert usb thumb drive.
copy usb1:nexus5596/n5000-uk9.6.0.2.N2.1b.bin bootflash:
copy usb1:nexus5596/n5000-uk9-kickstart.6.0.2.N2.1b.bin bootflash:
install all kickstart bootflash:n5000-uk9-kickstart.6.0.2.N2.1b.bin system bootflash:n5000-uk9.6.0.2.N2.1b.bin
when it prompted me to "reboot to continue with installation" I hit y and enter.

Fast forward 10 minutes.  Switch has rebooted and prompting for a login.  Type admin.  Enter password which was set and worked previously.  Password Incorrect.  At this point I thought I might have mangled the password.  OK that's not hard, password reset time.

Reboot (cord pull)
Ctrl+Shft+r
boot n5000-uk9.6.0.2.N2.1b.bin

boot into kickstart.

Conf t
Admin-password <password>

For this I have tried 2 ways, copy paste password and manual retype.

Then load the full image.

Load bootflash: n5000-uk9.6.0.2.N2.1b.bin

Switch boots.  No passwords work for login.

At this point I am thinking it might be a bug.  So I roll back the image manually.

Reboot (cord pull)
Ctrl+Shft+r
Boot n5000-uk9.5.2.1.N1.2.bin

boot into kickstart.

Conf t
Admin-password <password>

Then load the full image.

Load bootflash: n5000-uk9.6.0.2.N2.1b.bin

Switch boots.  No passwords work for login again.

So at this point I am totally stumped...  I have a TAC case open currently and the engineer is trying to duplicate the issue in the Lab on a 5548UP.  I am wondering if anyone else has seen this?  More importantly did you recover from it and how?

I would be happy to share the open SR number with any lurking Cisco staff who would be interested in the results or anything going on internally.

Thanks!
Blake