[c-nsp] C6500 IPv6 redistribute with route-map?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Dec 12 04:50:34 EST 2013

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:08:20 AM Gert Doering
wrote:

> (OTOH using the technologies Mark mentioned, having a VM
> layer makes sense - if the "routing engine" is not
> "software run on top of a general purpose OS" but "a
> routing engine VM running on top of a hypervisor"...
> but then more along the lines of what Nick proposed,
> with a dedicated metal running the hypervisor, and no
> fancy VM management-move-around-automatism engine
> playing tricks in the background)

Yes; I wished you could boot IOS(X*) or Junos on bare metal,
given they all support x86_64 hardware, but the vendors have
opted to keep tight control of things by fitting the OS
inside a VM.

So the leanest and most manageable deployment you can have
with this is:

	- Metal
	- Hypervisor
	- Router OS

CSR1000v is supported on ESXi only today, and to load it up,
you require vSphere client. I'd rather you didn't, but it's
thin enough and manageable, so as long as you keep it
simple, you should be stable.

Junos will run on Qemu or KVM natively, so no external
management required, although there are some you can use.

Mark.