[c-nsp] MPLS/VPN Loadbalancing with 2 CPE routers

Nicolas KARP liste at karp.fr
Sat Dec 21 08:56:04 EST 2013

Hi Oliver,

> This would work (and the caveat seems acceptable), I know of one SP who
> does this with their VPN customers. just make sure you configure a weight
> or localpref or something on the standby so you will never prefer an iBGP
> path over eBGP, or you would run into loops.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Hmm in this case, I think the second CPE router will have to prefer the
ebgp path to avoid a loop (instead of iBGP) ?  The packet which is leaving
CE1 to CE2, destination the MPLS cloud  will have to leave CE2 across the
eBGP. If CE2 prefers the iBGP, there might be a loop CE1 ---> CE2 ---> CE1
--> CE2 (if we use a load sharing per packet)...

WHat do you think ?

Thanks

Nick