[c-nsp] MPLS/VPN Loadbalancing with 2 CPE routers

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Sun Dec 22 03:10:25 EST 2013

>>Oliver, forget what I said... I've read "will prefer" instead of "will
>>never prefer" :-(
>>
>>It's good to know that another provider is using this kind of
>>architecture. It's not something we want to use for all our customers
>>but this specific customer has some constraints
>> which require to loadbalance their traffic.
>>
>>I guess we could also use OSPF and have the same cost for the path CE1
>>--> PE1 and the second path CE1 --> CE2 --> PE2. What would be the best
>>in this case ? eBGP multihop or OSPF
>> with costs ?
>>

>if OSPF is an option, I would prefer this as it is "cleaner" and more
>"natural" routing, and no risk of running into loops.

and with OSPF you could even come up with an EEM script on the CEs to
adjust the CE->PE link metric based on the HSRP status, so you can even
provide load-sharing when the HSRP master fails over to the "standby" (if
such a failure scenario would still allow the standby CE to perform
load-sharing, that is)..

	oli