[c-nsp] ME3600x buffer calculations- revisited

Julie Rudolph Julie.Rudolph at cdw.com
Tue Dec 24 19:17:07 EST 2013

Hello:

My questions key off of this thread:  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/172513.  I just seek a bit more clarification.  Wondering if anyone knows the answers to the following 2 questions:

1)      When using queue-limit percent, does this mean the switch will take that as a percentage of the 18MB of packet buffer for the ASIC serving the Gig ports on the switch?  Moreover, does it mean that the switch will dynamically allocate buffers to where they are needed, with the switch allocating the associated buffers to the busy interfaces (but not above the percentage of buffer that was specificied for that class(es) in question?

2)      If I have 20 interfaces on the same asic (the one with 18MB available buffer) with QOS classes that each have the max of 2Mbytes specified as the queue-limit and those limits exceed 18MB, what will happen?

3)      Lastly, has anyone ever had to configure queue-limits on the TenGig interfaces (i.e the default queue-limits weren't enough)?

Thanks,
Julie