[c-nsp] ASR9K 0 packet loss

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Feb 4 07:42:29 EST 2013

On 04/02/2013 11:40, William Jackson wrote:
> I have seen mentioned on marketing that you can pull out the RP from an in production ASR9K and suffer no packet loss.
> Is this the active RP?  Can somebody shed some light on this feature please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90W5hWsYV3Q

Real life outages tend to be caused by pilot error, software upgrade
maintenance and software bugs rather than by people removing RSP cards.  In
particular on the ASR9k, you can get reasonably good control plane uptime
with hitless upgrades, but that doesn't help you much if the SMU requires a
line-card reboot.  It also doesn't remove the need for maintenance windows.

Nick