[c-nsp] ASR9K 0 packet loss

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Feb 4 07:49:05 EST 2013

On (2013-02-04 12:40 +0100), William Jackson wrote:

> I have seen mentioned on marketing that you can pull out the RP from an in production ASR9K and suffer no packet loss.
> Is this the active RP?  Can somebody shed some light on this feature please?

RP is only involved in house-keeping, updating route tables etc. It plays
no role in packet forwarding.
It would take extra complexity + code to cause packet loss during such
event, default is, no loss.

For this eventuality linecards must run some soft of liveliness probe
towards RP, so that when timer runs out, they voluntarily stop forwarding,
so that they don't continue forwarding packets with stale routing
information, which can lead to packet loss or compromise of L3 MPLS VPN
security.

--
  ++ytti