[c-nsp] FWSM Maintenance software - where to download from

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Feb 6 21:45:31 EST 2013

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Erik Sundberg wrote:
>
>>  Where in cisco's download tool do you download the maintenance software
>>  for the Firewall Services Module?
>>
>>  It's not listed under the FWSM Section under the following area
>>  Switches
>>  Campus LAN Switches - Core and Distribution
>>  Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches
>>  Cisco Catalyst 6509-E Switch
>>  Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Firewall Services Module
>>  Firewall Services Module (FWSM) Software-4.1(11)
>>
>>  Only the FWSM Image is located here...
>
> Not sure what you mean by maintenance software.  Do you mean ASDM?
>
> ASDM for FWSM is here:
> http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=277413409&softwareid=280775067&release=6.2%283%29F&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest
>
> If you mean something else, I'm not sure where you'd find it.  In that case,
> the best bet would be to check with the TAC or your account team.

I normally don't reply to my own posts, but I had another thought after I
sent this.

If you're referring to a maintenance release of code, I've found one of
two things to be the case in the past:
1. The TAC needs to make it available for you on request, or...
2. The release you see on CCO is the maintenance release.  For whatever
reason, Cisco has often been very bad at clearly identifying
maintenance/interim releases as such on CCO, at least for the FWSM and
ASA.  I don't know if it's a business unit policy thing or what, but it
can make things confusing for customers because you're not quite certain
you're downloading the version of code that has feature or bug fix XYZ,
and the image posting date on CCO doesn't always help.

jms