[c-nsp] FYI regarding Cisco 12000 GSR Engine 3 ISE IPv6 tcam carving

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 7 02:53:08 EST 2013

Hello. I'm posting this here so it'll be searchable for future use.

4 port 1GE SFP card for Cisco 12000 running IOS only supports around 4k
IPv6 routes, then a message is displayed:

It was discussed in
<https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2011-February/077057.html>
before, but there is a twist. If the tcam regions doesn't add up to 100%,
no carving is done. This was verified with 12.0(33)S10. Also
<http://www.mail-archive.com/cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net/msg37427.html>
discusses this.

So with "show controllers ise <slot> tcam", the output MUST say:

"Total Tcam size = 100%"

If it says < 100% or > 100%, no carving is done. I cannot find any error
message about this, so I thought I'd create this post so others might find
it in the future.

Keywords/commands:

show controllers ise <slot> tcam
exec slot <slot> show controllers tofab alpha tcam carve

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se