[c-nsp] 2960 -> 4948 - no more drops :)

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sat Feb 16 19:42:19 EST 2013

The 2960 is a floor/access switch - and at the low end of the range.  It
isn't positioned or designed to be used in the type of bursty traffic
environment that the OP was using it for.

This is a classic example of when a Gig port in name is not a Gig port
in throughput, ie it may link up at that speed but you'd be lucky to get
the rated throughput in all but ideal circumstances.  Unfortunately the
concepts around buffers, drops and architecture, and what makes a 2960
different from a 4948 or ME series switch (because they all have 'Gig'
ports - but a big price difference) are still concepts foreign to many
engineers - more so in enterprise land than service provider land, IMHO.

I doubt it's an attempt at guerrilla marketing.  It's no real surprise
that once upgrading to a switch that was designed for the purpose that
performance and output drops improved significantly.

Reuben