[c-nsp] 2960 -> 4948 - no more drops :)

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Feb 19 00:21:29 EST 2013

On Sun, 2013-02-17 at 11:42 +1100, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
> The 2960 is a floor/access switch - and at the low end of the range.  It
> isn't positioned or designed to be used in the type of bursty traffic
> environment that the OP was using it for.

Though I would tend to agree, you will see the exact same problem using
a 3560E, which is what e.g. Equallogic has recommended that we used some
years ago. And from what I can tell the X-models are the same.

We've discussed this with our Cisco representatives who tried pointing
out that none of the fixed configuration Catalyst switches we suited for
this purpose. This is not what one of their gold partners who sold us
the equipment said previously. :-)

> This is a classic example of when a Gig port in name is not a Gig port
> in throughput, ie it may link up at that speed but you'd be lucky to get
> the rated throughput in all but ideal circumstances.

Funny thing is that many lower end switches (i.e. cheaper) have better
buffer characteristics than a 2960 or similar. And even though the 2960
is cheap compared to other high end switches it isn't compared to
gigabit switches in general.

--
Peter