[c-nsp] Next step-up from 7206VXR

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Tue Feb 19 23:49:08 EST 2013

Sup720 handles the average churn fine.  Spikes in churn can be an issue, but for the average use they are fine.
The usual cause of spikes are full feed failures and re-convergence.
The RSP720 and Sup2T obviously have superior CPUs that can handle the spikes as well.

The 1 million routes is default 500k ipv4 and 250k ipv6.
Most providers have changed their setups to 640k ipv4 and 192k ipv6.
At some point service providers will stop allowing /24 de-aggregates when a shorter prefix exists.

All of the Sups and DFCs basically use the same FIB TCAM so no there is no difference in how they handle
the routes.  The only difference is between v4 and v6, 2 x v4 = 1 x v6.

There is a difference in the ACL TCAM but it mainly effects IPv6 ACLs.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect