[c-nsp] Next step-up from 7206VXR

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Wed Feb 20 10:07:25 EST 2013

Once corporate networks decide they need IPv6 and they look at SHIM6, NPTv6, and multihoming and see how many apps break out of the box, they are going to request /48 Provider Independent (PI) spaces  and advertise them via BGP. Many if not most have been burned by PHB signing telco deals without any buy-in, so they aren't going to want to have to renumber every time some contract is signed/broken. Easy IPv6 corporate prefix renumbering is a myth. Too many one-off embedded devices that barely speak IPv6 and monitoring systems that aren't dynamic and other issues (ACL rewrites, etc...)

The explosion in ipv6 prefixes is coming....

Unless you need the hardware switching capabilities of the 7600/6500 (microbursts, etc), why not use the software routers like the ASR 1000/9000 that have no fixed TCAM limits?