[c-nsp] PHY-4-MODULE_DUP Message

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Feb 25 13:50:52 EST 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 06:31:14PM -0000, Antonio Soares wrote:
> %PHY-4-MODULE_DUP: SFPs in Gi1/0/1 and in Gi1/0/2 have duplicate vendor-id
> and serial numbers
[..]
> It seems to be an IOS issue that may be triggered by a GLC-T problem.

Misguided attempt to protect revenue from Cisco Original Gold SFPs...
("this must be a cheap chinese SFP which is made to look and smell like
a Cisco SFP, but we know that if we see the same serial number in two
different ports, it MUST BE A FAKE!!!".  Well, yeah, but maybe they
should check that the SFP is still in there before declaring the same
SFP in a different port to be a duplicate of itself...)

Of course the official statement will be something about ensuring the
best possible customer experience, or such.  Well, it certainly does
provide some experience...

The amount of work and money Cisco invests into customer unhappiness
never ceases to amaze me.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de