[c-nsp] monitoring dropped CoPP packets ?

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 20:31:07 EST 2013

Hi Jeffrey,

Currently there's no simple option to show which packets are dropped or see
which actual match statement is causing drops. There's an enhancement
request filed already for doing SPAN of CoPP drops though.

You can try one of the following options:
1) Create a copy of the default copp policy with 'copp copy profile'
command and spread the match statements so you have one per class, then
apply the new policy. See the CoPP config guide below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/security/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_NX-OS_Security_Configuration_Guide__Release_5.x_chapter_011001.html

2) Do an ethanalyzer capture to see what packets are arriving to the CPU.
Although this will not show the dropped packets obviously, it might give
you an indication which packets are coming with a high rate, for example if
you see high amount of ARP packets, most likely the drops are due to "match
protocol arp".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/ps9512/white_paper_c11-554444.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps11541/white_paper_c11-673817_ps9670_Products_White_Paper.html

Best regards,