[c-nsp] ASR-100x intro

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 07:54:01 EST 2013

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> We're doing lots of ethernet aggregation - both metro-e services and DSL/EoC (delivered over GigE, one vlan per customer, no PPPoe - straight bridging).  The people on the other end of these circuits are all customers, we're not an enterprise with branch offices, so many features like IPSEC are totally useless at this point.

We migrated to MX80 for IP/BGP customers aggregation. Main reason :
Pricing and capability to handle 10-20G of customer without issue
which costs a lot more in case of ASR 1K. MX80 sucks in terms of
routing-engine performance, but for customers BGP sessions we simply
are using bird route-servers to off load poor MX80 RE.

You can probably also look at ASR 9001 - it's will be very very good
box for ethernet aggregation and can handle a lot of traffic - much
more than small ASR 1K. Do anyone have experiences with performance of
ASR 9001 CPU (BGP convergence etc) as it's PPC based not Intel Xeon
like "big" ASR 9K.

Rob