[c-nsp] Cisco 867 SIP & NAT

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 10 08:47:31 EST 2013

On Jan 10, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Richard Clayton <sledge121 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently running SIP ALG on 1000 devices without any problems, a mixture of 857 and 887VA-M.  I originally had a problem with the 887VA-M but a bug fix was released after I raised a TAC case.
>
> Cheers
> Sledge

The challenge I faced is that there are many people who do SIP, e.g.: original iChat A/V was SIP and it was broken. While I can understand basic testing with only Cisco devices (e.g.: 7940/7960 at the time) worked they clearly were doing something wrong and broke other systems as well.

Just as easy to turn off their behavior as to chase a TAC case for months and have them or a dev argue with us.  Most people who do SIP over the internet run their gateways such that it will work properly behind NAT.  It's when a midpoint device decides to do something 'smart' when it's not been explicitly configured to do so that it causes problems.

- Jared