[c-nsp] Cisco 867 SIP & NAT

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Thu Jan 10 09:12:05 EST 2013

> On Jan 10, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Richard Clayton <sledge121 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I am currently running SIP ALG on 1000 devices without any problems,
> a mixture of 857 and 887VA-M.  I originally had a problem with the
> 887VA-M but a bug fix was released after I raised a TAC case.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Sledge
>
> The challenge I faced is that there are many people who do SIP, e.g.:
> original iChat A/V was SIP and it was broken. While I can understand
> basic testing with only Cisco devices (e.g.: 7940/7960 at the time)
> worked they clearly were doing something wrong and broke other systems
> as well.
>
> Just as easy to turn off their behavior as to chase a TAC case for
> months and have them or a dev argue with us.  Most people who do SIP
> over the internet run their gateways such that it will work properly
> behind NAT.  It's when a midpoint device decides to do something
> 'smart' when it's not been explicitly configured to do so that it
> causes problems.

Fully agree
We run sip services to resellers that use all sorts of sip clients atas phones gateways ippbx etc. together with every sort of firewall or router.
Everyday  tickets are opened for problems  related to sip algs that do something wrong or don't do what is necessary.
We always advise to disable it and let our systems take care of things.

Regards

Brian